Want to know what NBC cut from our Closing Ceremony? Click here!
I know through many of our readers that people who had to watch the Olympics through the broadcaster NBC were not happy. Unbelievably they cut the tribute to 7/7 terrorism victims in the Opening Ceremony (can you ever imagine the BBC not respecting 9/11 victims and families? Or the wider public in general?) I think it is a great shame, I feel we do have a link between our two countries but obviously NBC doesn’t feel the same way. I would urge you to complain if you haven’t already done so.
They also cut the appreciation for the volunteers section, like what the f*ck! Even worse perhaps, they cut out the FINAL MEDAL CEREMONY! Absolutely no respect for athletes unless they are from the US. Also it’s an insult to their viewers, assuming what they want to watch, most Americans and Canadians I know are more open with their views and also have a wider appreciation of different cultures, and perhaps they want to learn or see something new? They weren’t given the chance, Darcy Bussell and that dancing section was beautiful..yep they didn’t show it!
Edit – I have been informed on twitter that there was a live stream available for the Closing but not the Opening Ceremony, thanks @tammyinlalaland who also reported that RTW is now a 2004 hit single for Take That according to NBC!
Thanks for Heather Hear for the tip off and the below list, she is a huge 1D fan if you want to follow her!
ETA: Yep NBC BUTCHERED the Closing Ceremony Sunday night. The network cut many performances including my favorite, Ray Davies and the OFFICIAL Olympic song, sung by Muse. If you were looking forward to hearing George Micheal sing his new single–too bad for you. The worst insult, was interrupting the ceremony to air the execrable new series Animal Doctor. Local news aired at it’s usual time and THEN viewers got to see The Who close the show. Those who set their DVRs were screwed. #NBCFail.
Thanks to Mateja for live blogging! Here is the set list:
1. Emeli Sande – Read All About It (Part III)
2. Stomp! Choir – “Because” by The Beatles
3. Julian Lloyd Webber playing to Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. “To be British, is to win the lottery of life”
4. Prince Harry of Wales and Jacques Rogge from Olympic committee arrive. UK national anthem “God Save The Queen”
5. Michael Caine, street party; group Madness performs ‘Our House’
6. Blur’s “Parklife”, performed by Queen’s Guard band
7. Pet Shop Boys – “West End Girls”
8. One Direction – “What Makes You Beautiful”
9. The Stomp
10. Spelbound (BGT winners) – “A Day in the Life” by The Beatles (NBC Cut)
11. Ray Davies (The Kinks) – “Waterloo Sunset” (NBC Cut)
12. Emeli Sande – Read All About It (Part III) (NBC Cut)
13. National flags and the athletes
14. Elbow – “Open Arms” & “One Day Like This”
15. Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God remix 2012) (Not live) (NBC Cut)
16. Men’s Marathon Victory Ceremony, Uganda’s NA (NBC Cut)
17. Urban Voices Collective and the Dhol Foundation – “Here Comes the Sun” byThe Beatles, some appreciation for the volunteers (NBC Cut)
18. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen, “Imagine” by John Lennon (performed by Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir and Liverpool Signing Choir)
19. George Michael – “Freedom” & “White Light (NBC Cut “White Light”)
20. Kaiser Chiefs – “Pinball Wizard” (originally by The Who)
21. David Bowie – “Space Oddity”, “Changes”, “Ziggy Stardust”, “Jean Genie”, “Rebel Rebel”, “Diamond Dogs”, “Young Americans”, “Let’s Dance”, “Fashion” (not live) + British supermodels
22. Annie Lennox – “Little Bird”
23. Ed Sheeran – “Wish You Were Here” (originally by Pink Floyd) with Nick Mason, Mike Rutherford and Richard Jones
24. Russell Brand sings “Pure Imagination” & “I Am The Walrus”
25. Fatboy Slim – “Right Here, Right Now” & Another Song
26. Jessie J – Price Tag
27. Tinie Tempah – Written In The Stars (feat. Jessie J)
28. Taio Cruz – “Dynamite” (written by Bonnie McKee and Dr Luke, so much for British music)
29. Jessie J, Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz – “You Should Be Dancing” (originally by Bee Gees)
30. Spice Girls – “Spice Up Your Life” & “Wannabe”
31. Liam Gallagher (Beady Eye) – “Wonderwall” (Oasis)
32. Electric Light Orchestra – Mr. Blue Sky
33. Eric Idle – “Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life”
34. Muse – “Survival” (NBC Cut)
35. Freddie Mercury (Old Wembley footage), Brian May and Roger Taylor – Brighton Rock , Queen – We Will Rock You (feat. Jessie J)
36. Speeches: Sebastian Coe, Jacques Rogge
37. Olympic Games are now closed. Introduction of Brazil, who will host the 2016 games
38. Take That (minus Robbie Williams) – “Rule The World”
39. Darcey Bussell (ballerina) – “Spirit Of The Flame” (NBC Cut)
Olympic flame is out.
40. The Who – “Baba O’Riley” , “See Me, Feel Me”, “Listening to You”, ” My Generation” NBC interrupted the ceremony to air the horrible “Animal Practice”. THEN the local news. The Who didn’t air until MIDNIGHT.