ALBUM REVIEW: ONE DIRECTION ‘UP ALL NIGHT’ – X Factor to Superstars?
- What Makes You Beautiful – by my standards this is the best boy band single we’ve had for years, it sounds contemporary yet is so accessible to millions of teenage girls, the subject matter as well, so clever I imagine young girls feeling like the boys are talking directly to them..reality is of course a different matter but in a pop song the line ‘you don’t know you’re beautiful, that’s what makes you beautiful’ works so well.
- Gotta Be You – following on from WMYB as the second single from ‘Up All Night’ the boys are still singing about love. Again credit to the song-writers, what could be an insanely cheesy song is kept current but the ‘hey hey’s’ in the background.
- One Thing – starts off with a similar guitar sound to WMYB and throughout the song keeps to that same style throughout. Think Jonas Brothers and you are there.
- More Than This – the first track to slow down a bit, this song is basically a rip off of the Backstreet Boys song ‘I Will Love You More Than That’…having said that it’s a good production behind a semi-decent mid-tempo song.
- Up All Night – reminds us of Busted’s hey day….all jumping around full of energy. There is some dodgy lyrics in this song, main culprit is ‘Katy Perry is on replay’ If you liked Matt Willis’s doomed solo career than you’ll dig this. Weakest track so far.
- I Wish – another Busted/McFly type song, if you imagine Danny and Tom from McFly singing it then it would sit well on one of their first albums.
- Tell Me a Lie – this track has a famous co-writer, Kelly Clarkson. It’s got some Clarkson-esq guitars through it. The premise of this song is that ignorance is bliss, the boys don’t want to acknowledge a relationship is over so they sing ‘tell me a lie.’ There are some good powerful vocals in this track and it ends up being one of my favourites.
- Taken – this is the first track on the album that the boys have co-written. The subject matter is one that probably all young adults can relate too…that annoying moment where you just get over someone and then they come back in your face and tell you they love you again – basically because they want to know they still have power over you, not because they really care. It’s a good subject matter but the track doesn’t quite build to the sense of drama I would like.
- I Want – remember the McFly song ‘Transylvania’? Well it basically sounds like that! Oh and McFly’s Tom Fletcher wrote it…makes sense that!
- Everything About You – This is the first song which starts grating on me, it’s highly repetitive stuff.
- Same Mistakes – enjoyed this track more as we have a bit of a change of pace to a slower song and you can actually hear some individual vocals in this track.
- Save You Tonight – interesting this as it’s a RedOne written track, it’s a good track which reminds me of ‘Gold Forever’ by The Wanted.
- Stole My Heart – oh yeah, take it to the club boys! I was hoping there would be a few more of these type of tracks on the album if I’m honest, as long as it’s not a carbon copy of JLS but a 1D spin on a proper party track. Great fun…we can imagine the lasers at their gigs already…
There are a few sparklers on this album although I’m not sure whether we can lay the praise at the boys feet…rather I think it should go to the song-writing and production team that SyCo have put behind the project. It just shows you what having the right people behind you can do.
PopLedge: 5/10 – if I were ten years younger then this would be an 8!
Tracks for your iPod – WMYB, Tell Me a Lie and Stole My Heart.
Listen to this if you like: McFly, The Wanted, Busted, Jonas Brothers and Cody Simpson.